Be like stars; instead of cursing the darkness, shine.
― Matshona Dhliwayo
When I was in Sunday school, we sang: “This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine.” There were a few verses including “hide it under a bushel-NO!! I’m gonna let it shine.” It is such a simple song, but it’s been a lifelong touchstone for me. It reminds me that there is something I can do when even when I feel powerless. I can open to the Universal Energy-Divine Light and Love of God that surrounds, supports and fills my being.
This same spark of life is within you. It also reminds me that this same light is within ALL of us. Even when it’s very hard to see, I trust that there is light within each person and pray that they can find it too.
Our light sometimes gets buried through life situations and our response to those situations. Sometimes it’s dimmed by fear or by numbness-just going through the motions of life. But it is always there.
Right now, there is a lot of fear, illness, anger and violence in the world. There is also faith, healing, love, caring, beauty and connection in the world.
We have a choice to feel helpless and defeated or to look for the light. To look for opportunities to tend the flame. To look for ways to care for ourselves, each other and our world.
There are so many ways to reopen to the light around and within us. I’ve listed several below. Choose one (or all) that speaks to you!
- Read: Read spiritual texts and books that inspire you and fill you with hope.
- Sing and/or dance: You will instantly feel more light-filled and free.
- Tap into your creativity: Tune into your intuition and enjoy creating something that brings you joy. It doesn’t have to be “perfect.” That is not the purpose. The purpose is to raise your vibration.
- Meditation: Breath meditation is a very powerful physical practice that helps shift the body from stress to relaxation in minutes. Being in a more relaxed state allows us to be aware of the ever-present connection to peace, love and all of Life.
- Prayer: Ask for help in uncovering your light and allowing it to shine brightly. Then spend time resting in God’s presence, allowing yourself to receive.
- Walk in nature: In Japan, they call it “forest bathing.” I love that concept. Feel your feet on the ground. Breathe in the fresh air. Listen to the sounds of nature around you. Look at the details-the textures, shapes, colors, movement. Soak it in and allow it to feed your soul.
- Yoga: Set an intention to be present in each moment and breath. Practice with kindness toward yourself and reverence for your body-temple, even with its limitations.
- Reiki energy healing: The Reiki healer connects with the Universal Life Force also known as God’s healing love and grace, which flows through the hands to balance the recipient’s energy. This allows the recipient to feel their own connection to this Life Force. It promotes physical health, emotional peace and greater spiritual connection.
- Find out what is calling to your soul. When you have done self-care, you now are in a state of abundance. Who could use your help? What needs to change and how can you assist? How can you create beauty and connection?
- Then repeat. It’s like breathing: Inhale self-care. Exhale and care for others.
February 2021 Shelley Carpenter, Physical Therapist, Registered Yoga Teacher, Reiki Master Teacher is a practitioner at Ommani who offers group (Tuesday and Wednesdays) and individual therapeutic yoga sessions, physical therapy, and Reiki care. During the COVID stay-at-home period she is offering online yoga classes (https://www.pureenergyyoga.com/monthly-subscription-channel) and in-person or remote Reiki and in-person physical therapy for persons who are symptom free. Call our office at 262.695.5311 to schedule an appointment.